[energiadecreixent] Moving on… After Spains 29M general strike, how and why peaceful action is the only way to WIN

Fun Peace fuspey a yahoo.co.uk
dll maig 14 09:43:13 CEST 2012

 WordPress.com

New post on Barcelona en Transició
 Moving on… After Spains 29M general strike, how and why peaceful action is the only way to WINby fuspey
(Personal sharing of thoughts on strategy from 1 member of Barcelona en Transició as the #SpanishRevolution returns to the streets and squares of Spain #12M15M Original article posted here)
After what seems like a summer break, things have been heating up in Spain, especially in Barcelona. Last week there was a massive general strike in Spain, which was mostly peaceful. But here in Barcelona the city looked like a warzone with fires burning, banks smashed up, a starbucks smashed and burned out, police shooting a massive amount of rubber bullets for over 3 hours. One protester has lost an eye, another has a ruptured spleen, many injuries
We have already seen huge violent protests in Greece, where already people have died and tragically a 77 year old man took his own life in protest this morning outside Stgyma square. Are we going to see a far more violent confrontation between the radical, and mostly anarko, elements of activists in the city against a police force that is getting ever more violent and a head of command, Puig, hell bent on such a showdown... OR, can we expect a growth of a more non violent, but still direct action based form of resistence to the Increadibly harsh measures of austerity?
As a pacifist, I would argue that the peaceful road is the one that we should go down. Not soley for the spiritual reasons for pacifism, but more so that I believe that this strategy is the only one that can get us to that better place that we really feel we will get to, soon!
To outline the hows and whys of how a pacifist approach can and will change the world, I`ll direct you to a very excellent recent talk: Chris Hedges And Occupy Debate Black Block Violence
Previous vids about debate between use of violence or not, from COP15 in Copenhagen in 2009: (Copenhagen ’09) Reclaim Power, that talk, that “riot”, that action, the consequences
Spanish General Strike: Spain: General strike demonstrations on March 29th | General strike marks another step forward for indignados (Reflections on a Revolution ROAR) | Spanish general strike: Notes from the margins (Red Pepper) Videos: LaTele Punt Cat: A multitude of multitudes | Inicidents from the 29M strike in Barcelona (in Catalan)
Leer más de este artículo
fuspey | 14 mayo, 2012 at 9:25 | Categorías: accion, Barcelona, Cambio Climático, EcoEconomía, English, Europa, Permacultura, Pico del Petróleo, resiliencia, solidaridad | URL: http://wp.me/pNGF5-qO
Comentario    Ver todos los comentarios
¿Tienes problemas haciendo clic? Copia y pega esta URL en tu navegador:
http://barcelonaentransicio.wordpress.com/2012/05/14/moving-on/
Gracias por volar con  WordPress.com

--
Has recibido este mensaje porque estás suscrito al grupo "Barcelona en Transicio" de Grupos de Google.
Para publicar una entrada en este grupo, envía un correo electrónico a barcelona-en-transicio a googlegroups.com.