[energiadecreixent] Being the Anchor (Pausing for Reflection on the Transition Conference)

Fun Peace fuspey a yahoo.co.uk
dic jul 20 15:30:58 CEST 2011

 Great post after the Transition Conference in Liverpool from Charlotte Du Cann:

Being the Anchor (Pausing for Reflection on the Transition Conference)(vids at
blog post, also posted on transitionnetwork.org and transition norwich)

One  thing I learned from plants, I said to Dan as we headed home to Suffolk
and resumed our discussion about roadside herbs, is that whatever you
experience in the company of the plant that is the medicine. What makes  the
medicine is the looking back on that experience afterwards, the  dialogue you
hold about it and the story you then tell the world.

So  after the whirlwind three days in Liverpool what is that story? I  wanted to
experience everything - the 90 minute workshops, the three  hour workshops,
theopen mike session,  talking with the friends I’ve made in Transition who I
can’t see  everyday - and like everyone else I couldn’t. I missed the Tree Walk,
the singing Flash Mob in the canteen, theroving storytellers,  the incredible
bookshop in the foyer. I had a job to do: I was  disseminating all the publicity
and media and comms work we do in  Transition. I took part in all the main
events of the conference to keep  pace and then I returned to the Media Action
Station, liaised with Ed  (web coordination), Mike (photographer), Chris
(audio), David (video)  and all the conference bloggers who swung by.

When I stopped running and accepted my small role in the whole pattern, that’s
when everything started to make sense.

To  be an anchor as a communications person means you are in the midst of  the
action. You report back to the studio and that dialogue makes the  broadcast.
Being an anchor in a medicine sense has another function: it  means you are
prepared to put yourself in the eye of the storm and allow  that change to take
place within you. You are grounding yourself  wherever you are, finding your
bearings, and bringing the knowledge of  what you know into action. Harmonising
all those different voices. And  that is not an easy position. It demands all
your attention, all your  feelings, all your time.

We were here to enjoy ourselves, to  network, to celebrate, to engage in
discussions and explorations. But we  were also here to work. And the work of
the future means we have to  break out of the repeating patterns of the past and
live life urgently  and for real and not as we have been taught as a theory in
our heads.

The  conference was a metaphor for Transition, the kinds of pressures we  have
to withstand, the break-out moves we have to make. Held in Hope  University (an
ex-Catholic teaching college) the modern buildings kept  us in their scholastic
corridors and meeting rooms. We spilled out onto  the lawns at midnight like
noisy students and experienced a certain  pressure that in many ways felt like a
final exam. You might not know  (unless you made that journey)  that you were
actually in Liverpool. It was hard to find home, said Jo  and Inez at the final
plenary in the chapel. Or feel close to the earth.  Even Jay Griffiths' eloquent
talk about wildness felt strangely academic.

We  were people in a fishbowl with ideas, responses, theories, we had  exercises
and workshops and games that enabled us to come together and  design a future of
energy descent. Beyond the glass windows and the air  conditioning lay the real
world. What brought it into the room were the  messages that came from the
outside, particularly those political stories from Transition Heathrow and from
Transition Barcelona who on Sunday night showed us videos of the extraordinary
uprisings  that have been taking place in the main square. How thousands of
people  in response to the financial and political crises of the times have come
together and started to discuss a different way of doing things. Earth  care,
people care, fairshare.

This  is the story of our times: the people who have been working for years
persistently, in activism, in Transition, in permaculture and medicine,  who
suddenly when the moment comes, bring those principles into action.  In the city
squares of the world the people are gathering to design a  future that they
want. A democracy that is not dictated from above. One  that comes out of
neighbourhood, community ownership, sharing of  resources, consensus decision
making, participation, communication. One  that is immediately local, but
connects with people everywhere on the  planet in the same situation. It
self-organises because the people who  hold those principles in place put
themselves in anchor positions. They  hold the change. This is not leadership or
control, nor is it random and  chaotic. It’s another function entirely.

Last year Nicole Foss  in her talk said there will be people in the future who
you might not  have noticed before, because in the industrialised,
push-and-shove,  hierarchical culture we inhabit, they are given no value or are
taken  for granted. But in a time of turbulence their presence becomes known.
They are the anchor people who stabilise, who connect, who include, who  cohere,
who make sense in a time when everything seems to be falling  apart. Who bring
lightness and possibility in a a time which appears  heavy and dark. Who,
because they know what to do, so does everyone  else.

(click play on vid and press cc for English subtitles)

When  the police forced the people out of the Plaza Catalunya the spirit of
what had taken place went into 23 neighbourhoods in the city and fired  everyone
into discussions and community-based actions. People got  together to prevent
the police evicting their neighbours (thousands of  homes have been repossessed
by the banks). Groups went into the  countryside and took the news of what was
happening which had not been  reported by the mass media. They are walking now
through Spain, going  from village to village telling the story.

We met in Liverpool  and now we’re returning to our villages and towns and
neighbourhoods,  telling the story of how things could be different in our words
and  actions. There are many stories that emerged out of the conference and I
hope to relate all of them over the coming months. Today this was the  one I
chose to tell. Because Transition happens for real when we go out  and join in
the square with our fellows. When we put our feet on the  earth and make
ourselves at home. That's not a given, it's a task for  everyone who longs for
change. I could finally relax at the conference  about not experiencing
everything because as people came by and told me  their experiences they became
mine too. Transition is not an  individualist story: it's a composite one, many
stories told by many  people.

Time to stand up and speak. Time to become our own media.