[Educaciolliure] S.O.S Blue Mountain (Free) School

Izaskun Azueta zerurdina en gmail.com
Mie Ene 30 23:23:39 CET 2008

Hace poco recomendaba a una persona que pedía ayuda para realizar su trabajo
de investigación que visitara una escuela libre en el estado de Oregón, que
además de llevar muchso años funcionando muy bien, está, o más bien, estaba
financiada por el distrito al que pertenecen, cosa que garantizaba el acceso
a niñ*s de distintas procedencias socioeconómicas. Bien, pues según el
mensaje que me acaba de mandar Susana Blanka (¡gracias Blanka!) el distrito
de marras ha decidido dejar de darles la subvención por 4 votos a 3 y les ha
dejado colgados a medio curso y el futuro de la escuela ahora pende de un
hilo. Esta es la carta de petición de solidaridad y ayuda que escriben
desde la escuela y piden que se les escriba emails a algunas personas del
distrito y/o del condado, como veréis al final. ES URGENTE, estos días se
decide el futuro de la escuela y de muchísimos niñ*s del presente y del
futuro de esa zona.

Blue Mountain School Needs Your Help

One of the few democratic public schools, Blue Mountain, a charter school in
Oregon, faces closure because of a politically stacked change in its local
board. Letters need to be sent to the State Superintendent. Here is the info
from board member Laura Stine:

Dear Friends,

Imagine, as a kid, going to a school where you could choose to explore and
develop your interests. Imagine a place where you had an equal vote in
making decisions. Most importantly, imagine what school would be like if
faculty and other kids respected you as a unique person with skills and
talents worthy of support.

In Oregon, there is a publicly-funded school just like that. It is Blue
Mountain School.

After 9 years of providing a democratic education, Blue Mountain's charter
was terminated mid-contract by the South Lane School District in a close 4-3
vote. The main issue was assessment, an issue that the schools are
struggling to deal with nationwide in the wake of the No Child Left Behind
Act.

Blue Mountain reached out to the district in an attempt to respond to its
requirements but was not met half-way. As a result of thwarted
communication, the district chose to be dissatisfied with our results and
began compiling a list of "problems." In the end, 47 points of contention
were presented to the appeals officer - 43 of those points were dismissed
outright as immaterial to the case.

So, where are we now? The Oregon State Superintendent, Susan Castillo, will
make a final judgment regarding the school's termination in the next week or
so. We urge you to email her TODAY at
superintendent.castillo en state.or.usand ask her to keep Blue Mountain
as an innovative educational choice. Let
her know who you are, what town you live in, and why Blue Mountain is
valuable to you. (As they are responding to our letters with a form letter
telling us the time for testimony has ended, they may only read your subject
line. Write in the subject line "From [your city-state-country]-Save Blue
Mountain".) Please copy your email to utnvisual en gmail.com so we can send it
to the district board.

And email your message to:

Oregon's Governor, Ted Kulongoski [
http://www.governor.state.or.us/Gov/contact_us.shtml]

Oregon newspapers: The Oregonian [letters en news.oregonian.com]; and the
Register-Guard [rgletters en registerguard.com]

With limited funds still available, the school is struggling to stay open.
Your donation of any amount will help the kids at Blue Mountain finish out
this school year. We just hope it won't be their last.

With your help, this democratic school can receive the public support it
deserves. You can make a tax-deductible contribution online at
www.bluemountainschool.com.

P.S. To watch a short YouTube video about the school, go to www.youtube.com;
search for "Blue Mountain School"

Or go directly to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xpvdjsE-sw

Help preserve imaginative, innovative, empowering education by:

* sending this message to others,

* emailing Susan Castillo, and

* giving the gift of education to generations of students at Blue Mountain.

Sincerely,

Laura Stine

--
"Mi abuela quería que fuese una mujer culta, por eso no me llevó al colegio"
Margaret Mead