[Educaciolliure] Fwd: Education Revolution e Newsletter: AERO conf feedback, DVDs, new course

Izaskun Azueta zerurdina en gmail.com
Mar Jul 25 23:25:25 CEST 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Alternative Education Resource Organization <jerryaero en aol.com>
Date: Jul 24, 2006 4:54 AM
Subject: Education Revolution e Newsletter: AERO conf feedback, DVDs, new
course
To: List Member <zerurdina en gmail.com>

Dear Education Revolution e Newsletter Readers:
CONTENTS:
1. FEEDBACK FROM THE AERO CONFERENCE
2. RESERVE AERO CONFERENCE DVDS
3. ON LINE SCHOOL STARTERS COURSE!

1. FEEDBACK FROM THE AERO CONFERENCE
This year's AERO conference was our biggest and best yet, with over 325
adults and students from 35 states and 8 countries. Here are some comments
from participants:

The AERO conference was fabulous!  I hope more of you will be able to go
next year.       Karen

I just wanted to tell you I think you did a great job in managing an
unwieldy octopus of a task and lots of strong-minded independent attendees.
I was impressed at your personal attention….I really got a lot of ideas and
information that will let me move closer to the sustainable learning center
I'm working on.     Mary Ellen

I was impressed with the organization of the conference and the wide variety
of workshops, keynote speakers, and other activities.  There was truly
something for everyone who attended.  I came away with several new
perspectives and ideas for Brooklyn Free School.  It was also great to see
and meet many of the people who are interested in starting their own
schools.     Alan Berger, Director, Brooklyn Free School

The conference this year was entirely worth every penny and ounce of effort
it took to get there. My group went away informed and refreshed to continue
our school-opening journey. …Thank you all for taking these topics to such
thoughtful, intelligent, edifying heights. ..Thanks to everyone who brought
their experience, advice and spirit.     Heather

I just returned from the AERO Conference in Troy. It was great. I was
exposed to so much interesting information, but I'm especially intrigued by
using the democratic process in the school I am codirector of.      J. H.

The conference was a great experience for me.  I am so glad I went and came
home inspired in many ways.  I want to acknowledge the work you (and others)
did to make it happen.
….As a first-timer, I was pleased that many adult and youth attendees
generally made an effort to talk to me and make me feel welcome.
….The keynotes were interesting and provocative, and the question/answer
periods after keynotes were particularly good.     ….  Coop

…We LOVED it.  Specifically, John Taylor Gatto's and Mimsy's keynotes, the
student panel, the start up workshops and the Lynn Stoddard workshop on
human greatness were of great value to me. The childcare was wonderful -
really made the conference work for us.…it was energizing, inspiring and
invaluable for me to be in one place at one time with hundreds of people who
are all committed to a new future for education.  I am overwhelmingly
grateful to have been there.    Mercer

I think the only thing that stopped it from being great is it didn't last
long enough.  it was filled with interesting and powerful people of all ages
- hundreds of them - and i only got to meet about twenty.  if those 20 are
an indication of who else was there - and they almost surely are - then i
wish it had gone on for at least another 3-4 days; maybe more.    R.D.

2. RESERVE AERO CONFERENCE DVDS
We are having the master DVD's made of the AERO conference at our video
center. They will include keynotes by Jerry Mintz, John Taylor Gatto, Mimsy
Sadofsky, Tim Seldin, Ron Miller and Pat farenga, as well as the Student
Panel Discussion, Spectrum of Alternatives Panel Discussion, and the opening
session of the School Starters Workshop (All 5 sessions will be given to
those enrolled in On-Line School Starters Course—see below).

To give us an idea how many copies to start making, please REPLY TO THIS E
NEWSLETTER if you  are interested in having DVDs of the AERO conference.
Those who reply now will get the first choice. We're not yet sure of the
exact number of DVD's we will make. To give you an approximation, last year
we had a set of 7 DVDs for $20 each or $99 for the entire set. This year you
will be able to do something similar.

3. ON LINE SCHOOL STARTERS COURSE!
Coming directly from the school-starters workshops at the AERO conference,
we have decided to create a more in depth, online course for people starting
new alternatives, with emphasis on democraticly run programs. It will start
in September and run for ten weeks and will use a special Internet software
that allows video and audio downloads as well as book excerpts. We will also
have live interactive discussions every week. This first course will be
limited to 10 participants.

Course description:

You want to start a democratic school or homeschool resource center?  But
you don't know where to start and how to go about it. The goal of the Start
a School online course is to help you think through the crucial steps,
resolve major issues and overcome practical barriers in starting a school or
resource center. Most practitioners agree that there is no one way or set of
steps that will lead to a successful school start-up. However, there are
issues you will need to careful think through, common pitfalls that you can
avoid, and best practice and case studies that can help you pave your
personal, intellectual, and emotional way through the start-up process. This
course is designed to help you clarify your vision and put it into practice.
It includes live weekly chats and free individual consultations by
appointment.

Outline:

The course will cover two major aspects involved in starting a school: 1)
strategic-logistical side and 2) educational aspects. Major issues involve:

    * Different types of democratic schools and governance
    * Clarifying your educational vision
    * Building a community around the idea of starting a school
    * Legal set up and accreditation
    * Finding or building your school environment
    * Budgeting your first year
    * Recruiting teachers
    * Admission policies and student body
    * Insurance
    * First days of school
• Common pitfalls

If you are interested in getting on the list of people considering enrolling
in this course, JUST REPLY TO THIS E NEWSLETTER and we will send you more
details.

SEND THIS TO SOMEONE ELSE SEND THIS TO SOMEONE ELSE
We now have over 5000 readers, all people who have contacted AERO directly!
Is there someone you know who would benefit from the information in these
dispatches?  Please forward this one to them and have them visit the AERO
Web site at www.educationrevolution.org and sign up for the free
e-newsletter.

Jerry Mintz
Education Revolution E-News
Alternative Education Resource Organization
417 Roslyn Rd
Roslyn Hts, NY 11577, USA
516 621-2195
800 769-4171 (USA and Canada only)