[Deuda-QdQ] urgente - adhesion sobre Repsol YPF en Perú

Ecologistas en Acción - Área de Agroecolo Ecologistas en Acción - Área de Agroecolo
Mar Oct 16 17:25:13 CEST 2007

Compañer en s,

Gracias por enviar sus adhesiones a la siguiente iniciativa que pretende
incidir frente al apoyo de la Unión Europea en la explotación petrolera
en Camisea (Perú). Las firmas por favor enviar hasta el 19 de octubre a:
vemund en rainforest.no

Mil gracias de antemano.

Un abrazo,

Mónica Vargas, ODG
Tom Kucharz, Ecologistas en Acción

--
Ecologistas en Acción
Ãrea Agroecología y Soberanía Alimentaria

www.ecologistasenaccion.org
www.quiendebeaquien.org
www.salvalaselva.org
http://etnodg.blogspot.com
http://deuteodg.blogspot.com

Appeal to civil society organizations to stop expansion of Camisea II
gas project in the Peruvian Amazon

Rainforest Foundation Norway would like to invite civil society
organisations in donor countries to the international financial
institutions IDB and IFC, to take action against the harmful gas
extraction project Camisea II in Peru. The Inter-American Development
Bank (IDB) and the World Bank GroupÂ’s institution for loans to private
enterprises, the International Finance Corporation (IFC), are
considering loan requests for a total of 1,1 billion US dollars to
Camisea this autumn.

The loans would fund expansion of activities that seriously threaten a
vast area of primary rainforest in the Peruvian Amazon, as well as some
of the last uncontacted indigenous tribes on Earth. The companies
responsible for Camisea II are Repsol YPF of Spain, SK Corporation of
South Korea, and Hunt Oil of USA.

Donor countries to IDB and IFC have the responsibility to ensure that
any projects financed by these institutions comply with international
standards for human rights and environmental protection.

Rainforest Foundation Norway is cooperating with organizations in Peru
and the USA in an effort to get donor countries to stop IDB and IFC from
financing Camisea, unless all relevant environmental and human rights
standards are met and the free, prior and informed consent of the
affected indigenous peoples is secured.

To this end, we have prepared a letter that will be sent to the
ministries of foreign affairs in most of the countries that are
represented in the same voting blocks as Norway in IDB and IFC. We would
have a much better chance of achieving a positive result if several
countries would raise the issue simultaneously, and for this we need
your support.

The voting groups are the following:

IDB: Austria, Denmark, Finland, France, Norway, Spain and Sweden

IFC: Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway and
Sweden

We would like to encourage organisations in these countries to sign the
attached letter, and to forward this e-mail to other organisations that
might want to sign. Deadline for signing up is WEDNESDAY 19 OCTOBER 2007.

We also ask organisations to raise the Camisea issue directly with the
ministries of foreign affairs in their countries.

We attach documents: the letter to ministries of foreign affairs, a 4
page background document on the Camisea project, and a recent report by
Amazon Watch that concludes that the IDB and IFC would breach their own
standards as well as international human rights law if they were to
finance expansion of Camisea.

We hope that your organisations will join us in the endeavour to put the
destructive Camisea project on the international agenda.

Vemund Olsen

Rainforest Foundation Norway