[Deuda-QdQ] Nota de prensa y fotos de las actividades contra Cumbre UE-África en Lisboa

Ecologistas en Acción - Área de Agro Ecologistas en Acción - Área de Agro
Sab Dic 8 13:57:20 CET 2007

[Find here the Press release of the Africa Trade Network and Seattle to
Brussels Network about alternative summit against EU-Africa Summit in
Lisbon; we also send some fotos from action of Vía Campesina, CNA,
ACCORD, ActionAid and other organizations on friday against EPAs and for
the Right to Food and food sovereignty]

News hook: EU-Africa Summit; Lisbon, 8-9 December

*Lisbon summit 'betraying Africa'*

Representatives of civil society from Africa and Europe meeting
alongside the EU-Africa Summit in Lisbon, Portugal have released the
following statement:

We the representatives of civil society meeting in Lisbon, Portugal wish
to register our profound concern at the direction which is being taken
by the EU-Africa Summit. Claims that the summit will usher in a new
partnership between the two continents have been exposed as false. Far
from solving the challenges currently facing African nations, the summit
threatens to betray Africa and condemn future generations to long-term
economic, social and environmental crisis.

Despite consistent criticism from people's movements across Africa and
from civil society in Europe, the EU has persisted with its aggressive
agenda to pressure African governments into signing Economic Partnership
Agreements which will destroy their development prospects and the
environment. We condemn this aggression against the sovereignty of
African nations, and call on the member states of the EU to recognise
the right of the peoples of Africa to determine their own development paths.

We condemn the extreme pressures which have been exerted on African
governments to sign up to agreements which are not in the interests of
their countries and regions. We applaud the resistance of the African
peoples in the face of this EU offensive, and with them we call on all
African leaders to represent the genuine interests of the continent and
to resist any further threats to their future development.

We call for a new and equal partnership between the EU and Africa based
on full enjoyment of human rights and on economic strategies which put
the needs of people and the environment before the interests of capital.
European corporations are leading actors in the plunder of Africa's
strategic natural resources, which has fuelled environmental and human
catastrophe in the DRC and Sudan, among others. While the Summit seeks
to expand the freedom of European capital within Africa, it also seeks
to restrict the free movement of African peoples and their rights to
life and livelihoods. We condemn Fortress Europe and all racist asylum
and immigration laws which institutionalise discrimination against the
peoples of Africa. We, the representatives of civil society in Africa
and Europe, are committed to building a genuine partnership based on
solidarity and cooperation between our peoples.»

Signed: The member organisations of the Africa Trade Network and Seattle
to Brussels Network

*Notes to editors*

1. This statement will be presented at a joint press conference to be
held at 3pm GMT at the Sindicato dos Professores da Grande Lisboa, Rua
Fialho de Almeida 3, Lisbon. For further details and directions, phone
Nuno Mendes on +351 962 501 351.

2. The Africa Trade Network is the umbrella network of trade and
economic justice campaigners from 36 countries across Africa. The
Seattle to Brussels Network is a pan-European network of social
movements and campaign groups fighting corporate control of EU trade
policies.

--
Ecologistas en Acción
Área Agroecología y Soberanía Alimentaria

www.ecologistasenaccion.org
www.quiendebeaquien.org
www.salvalaselva.org
http://etnodg.blogspot.com