[Deuda-2005] EU-Latin America summit under fire

Ecologistas en Acción eea_comisioninternacional2 en yahoo.es
Mar Mayo 9 01:44:56 CEST 2006

http://www.eupolitix.com/EN/News/200605/cced6b5b-d06f-4a8a-a7d5-
6cd25efecbe2.htm

Published: Mon, 8 May 2006 12:42:09 GMT+02
Author: Daisy Ayliffe

EU-Latin America summit under fire

NGOs will convene at the EU-Latin America Caribbean (LAC) summit to
protest against Brussels’ promotion of free trade and privitisation.

More than 1,000 campaigners are expected to gather for an
“alternative summit” that calls on the EU to start engaging more with
civil society in Latin America.

“In Vienna we will be calling on the EU to stop pushing for the
privitisation of public services such as health, education and
water,” Gérard Karlshausen of CNCD told reporters on Monday.

“There is a lack of contact with civil society at the moment.
Although we see a lot of rhetoric on this issue in the European
parliament, there is little space for the people of Latin America to
give their opinions.”

On Thursday, commission president José Manuel Barroso, trade
commissioner Peter Mandelson and external relations commissioner
Benita Ferrero-Waldner will attend the EU-LAC summit in Vienna.

Topics are likely to include social cohesion, regional integration
and multilateralism.

Trade will also feature high on the agenda, although efforts to sign
a bilateral trade agreement between the EU and Mercosur bloc of
Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay has been stalled for some
years now.

But campaigners accuse the EU of using free trade agreements to
pursue a right wing agenda.

“Latin Americans have rejected neo-liberalism on the streets and, in
several cases, in the ballot boxes too,” Gonzalo Berron of
Hemispheric Social Alliance declared.

“Our meeting in Vienna will send a clear message that we do not want
neo-liberalism by the back door, in the shape of ‘strategic
partnerships’ and interregional free trade strategies.”

Campaigners are also worried that by focusing on millennium
development goals, the EU is taking its eye off the ball.

“The millennium development goals focus on the consequences of
poverty but they do not look at its causes. We do not think the EU is
doing enough to address this – in particular, it is not doing enough
to promote human rights in the region,” Karlshausen added.

The alternative LAC summit begins on Thursday and is set to include
speeches by Venezuelan president, Hugo Chavez and Bolivian president
Evo Morales.

Ecologistas en Accion (Madrid) - Comisión Internacional
C/ Marques de Leganes 12 - 28004 Madrid
Telefono: +34-91-5312739
Fax: +34-91-5312611
http://www.ecologistasenaccion.org/